Have you ever tried to complete a task but couldn’t because you weren’t focused? Perhaps you were trying to write a report for work and were distracted, though not from outside noises like kids playing or dogs barking. Instead, the distraction was coming from your own mind. Even though you were trying to focus on your work, different things kept entering your mind, such as the things you have to do and the bills you have to pay.
While it’s normal to have these thoughts, they can be especially persistent if you have a scarcity mindset. A scarcity mindset is the feeling of not having enough, whether it be time, money or social connections. And a scarcity mindset can be powerful enough to be a self-fulfilling prophecy that keeps you stuck.
Fortunately, there are ways that you can move from a scarcity mindset to an abundance mindset. Adopting an abundance mindset is something that you may discuss in behavioral therapy in New Jersey. While it won’t solve all of your problems, it can help you look at things differently, making it easier to cope.
What are the Signs of a Scarcity Mindset?
It’s important to know that some signs of a scarcity mindset can indicate that you’re struggling with something more, such as depression or another mental health issue. If your mindset is stopping you from living your life, mental health therapy in Princeton NJ can help. Behavioral therapy is very effective at changing your thinking.
Here are some signs that you may have a scarcity mindset:
- Finding it difficult to be happy for others
- Comparing your worth to others
- Feeling that you will acquire less when others acquire the things you want
- Trouble sharing with others
- Controlling behavior, such as needing to be in charge
- Measuring success as ‘beating’ someone else
- Feeling like you’re drowning in bills and other responsibilities
How to Change the Scarcity Mindset to the Abundance Mindset
Living with the scarcity mindset is not healthy. It’s not something you do on purpose – it’s background noise happening in your brain. But that doesn’t mean you can’t do something about it. You can take control of your thinking and turn it into an abundance mindset – the mentality that there is plenty out there for everyone to share.
As you’ll discuss in cognitive behavioral therapy in New Jersey, here are some of the best ways to snap out of the scarcity mindset:
- Focus on the things you have. Practicing gratitude is a great way to remind yourself of the good in your life. If you look hard enough, you’ll find that you have plenty!
- Surround yourself with positive people. The people around you will influence your mood. If they’re positive, they can help you think the same way!
- Recognize the possibilities. Don’t shy away from opportunities because you feel there is a lack of them. There are plenty of possibilities and solutions!
- Share your purpose. You have things that you are great at. Think about how you can share your talents with others.
- Notice the good. Humans have the tendency to notice what’s bad more than what’s good. Challenge yourself to change your perception – see the good in things and people!
Change Your Mindset with Behavioral Therapy in Princeton NJ
While it’s not your choice to have a scarcity mindset, it is your choice to change it. If you’re tired of feeling like there’s never enough money, time or opportunities, you can likely benefit from mental health therapy in NJ. A licensed counselor can help you see things differently, leading to a happier, more productive life.
CTRLCare Behavioral Health offers behavioral therapy on an outpatient basis. You can take advantage of our services at any time. Because our services are comprehensive, we can also assist with other mental health problems like eating disorders and social media addiction. Contact our admissions department to learn more.